Safari Rally is one of the oldest organized sporting events in Kenya. Founded in 1953 by the motoring fraternity to commemorate the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II of England, the Safari remains part of Kenya’s heritage in sports and culture.
From inception up to 2002, the Safari was run under the aegis of the Automobile Association of Kenya (AA) as a limited subsidiary. It was later de-linked from the AA and taken over by the newly formed Kenya Motorsport Foundation (KMF) which transformed itself to the current Kenya Motor Sports Foundation (KMSF) in-charge of all branches of motorsport disciplines in 2007.
On November 1st 2017 the Government of Kenya formed a new entity known as the WRC (World Rally Championship) Safari Rally Project through Kenya Gazette Notice Number 181 legal document, to oversee the return of the Safari to the FIA World Rally Championship by 2020. This was a follow-up commitment by the Jubilee Government to see the Safari Rally regain WRC status as a platform to promote tourism, culture, heritage and cohesion in its 2012 Manifesto.
The government factored the WRC Safari Rally Project in its 2017/2018 budget and created an office space measuring 9,000 square feet at the Moi International Sports Centre, Kasarani as the headquarters of this project.
The Safari is a round of the Kenya National Rally Championship (KNRC) and Africa Rally Championship (ARC).
Though no longer a round of the WRC, the Safari Rally is still highly regarded as one of the toughest rallies in the world. Our core mandate is to achieve the WRC status as a goal and not dream.
The WRC Safari Rally Project is headed by the Cabinet Secretary in the Ministry of Sports and Heritage.
1: Cabinet Secretary Ministry of Sports and Heritage
2: Principal Secretary Ministry of Sports and Heritag
3: Principal Secretary Ministry of Tourism
4: Joshua Oigara CEO, KCB
5: Jim Kahumbura: Director, KMSF
6: Jassy Rai: TEAMS
7: Mr. John W. Njogu Legal Advisor WRC Safari Project
8: Phineas Kimathi Ex-Official,
- Mr. Phineas Kimathi CEO WRC Safari Rally Project
- Ms. Hellen K. Shiri Event Secretary WRC Safari Rally Project
- Mr. Surinder Thatthi Vice President FIA,
- Mr. Ragbir Singh. Chatthe Director ( KMSF) WRC Safari Rally Project
- Mr. Manjinder. Singh. Bansal Director KMSF WRC Safari Rally Project
- Dr. Supinder Singh Soin Chairman Rallies Commission, WRC Safari Rally Project
- Mr. Peter Njenga Rally PR Expert WRC Safari Rally Project
- Mr. George Mwangi Rally Navigator /Driver’s Rep
- Mr. Chris Eden Engineer, Technical Delegate
- Bimal Patel Director KMSF
- Representative Ministry of Devolution, CPCO
- Representative Ministry of Tourism
- Representative Ministry of Devolution
- Representative Ministry of Interior
- Representative Ministry of Sports and Heritage